The Fundamental Unit of Life Blog 1

CLASS 9 CHAPTER 5 
THE FUNDAMENTAL UNIT OF LIFE
Day 1

"A Cell is regarded as the true biological Atom"   - George Henry Lewes

Dear Learners,
Thank you for Logging in! You're wonderful!😊 

Note: Content written in blue should be recorded as notes in the Biology Notebook.

This is our first class for this chapter. At the end of it, you will be able to:
1. Recapitulate cell as the basic Structure and Functional unit of Life. 
2. Distinguish between Unicellular & Multicellular Organisms.
3. Approximate different shapes & sizes of the cells.
4. Estimate about Microscopes & its Types.
5. Approximate Cell Theory

Happy Learning!😊

Introduction:

Observe a few Living Creatures from your surroundings. 
It can be Plants, Birds, Insects, Animals, Microbes (Corona Virus) and even you!
Let's take the example of Human Beings. Human Beings are further made up of:

Human Being---->Digestive System, Respiratory System, Circulatory System, Excretory System----->Mouth, Lungs, Stomach, Small Intestine, Large Intestine, Heart, Brain, Kidney-----> Bone, Blood, Adipose Tissue,  Cartilage, Nervous tissue----->Cell

From the above example, it can be concluded that the basic unit of a living organism is Cells.

Level of Organisation

Cell-----> Tissue----->Organ-----> Organ System-----> Organism.

Level of Organisation

Classification of Organisms

Based on the Number, Shape & Size of the cells, Organisms can be classified as :

1. Based on the Number of Cells, organisms are classified as:
  • Unicellular- E.g. Amoeba, Paramecium, Chlamydomonas, Euglena, etc. 
  • Multicellular- E.g. Plants, Animals, Human Beings, Microbes, etc.

# Point to Ponder: Number of cells less in any Organism, doesn't affect its functioning.

2. Based on the Shape of Cells, they are of the following types: 

Disc Shaped, rectangular, Branched, Irregular, Needle, Spherical Shaped.
(To be drawn from Pg. 58 of the Textbook)

3. The size of the cell varies from Organism to Organism.
  • The smallest cell in the living world is Mycoplasma and the largest is the Egg cell of an Ostrich.
  • In humans, Sperm is the smallest, Ovum is the largest and the Nerve cell is the longest.
# Point to Ponder: The size of the cell has no relation with the size of the organism, instead it is related to its function.

The Instrument to see Cells:

Cells of the living Organisms are very small and can't be viewed through a naked or unaided eye. These can be seen only under a powerful Microscope. 
Microscope is an instrument used to see objects that are too small to be seen by the naked eye.
https://youtu.be/aQStOWzj93A (Types of Microscopes)

Compound Microscope is used for viewing samples at high magnification.

https://youtu.be/b2PCJ5s-iyk (construction and working of a Compound Microscope)

History of Cells:

Robert Hooke discovered the cell in 1665. He observed thin slices os Cork under a microscope. He observed Honey-Comb like structures in the form of compartments stacked above one another and called the cell. The cell in Latin means a small room.

https://youtu.be/F2HVmOGwKNA  (Robert Hooke's Discovery of Cells)

Cell Theory: 

All Plants and Animals are made up of cells which is the basic unit of life.

https://youtu.be/8XjKmR2heH8 (The Cell Theory)

https://youtu.be/4OpBylwH9DU (JUST FOR FUN)

Read from Pg. no. 57-59 of the N.C.E.R.T Textbook.

Assignment

  • Try answering Intext questions (I.Q) on Pg. 59.
I hope it helped!
See you for the Next Class!
Take care.😊😊😊

Comments

  1. Good morning Mam my name is Kanishk Sharma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning sir,my name is Kartikeya Balonda.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning sir
    My name is pranshu wadhwa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning sir! This is Karmanya Sharma.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Morning Sir, My name is Yashowardhan Chaudhary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good morning sir my name is akshat jaiswal

    ReplyDelete
  7. Goodmorning sir my name is Amaanullah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good morning mam my name is sidharth singh

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sir do we also have to write cell theory timeline in our copy??

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good morning mam my name is sidharth singh

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good morning sir my name is akshat jaiswal

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good morning sir I am Mohammad Umar

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good morning sir I am Vyan Sharma

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good morning mam my name is ansh

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good morning ma'am I am Darsh Kumar.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good morning sir, my name is Dario George .

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good Morning Sir
    I am Arnav Singh Juneja

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good morning sir my name is Athrv Sharma 9A

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good morning Sir! Alan Alexander 9-A

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good Morning Sir!
    I am KANAV AJMANI.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good morning sir.This is Joel John.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good morning ! This is Dhruv srivastava

    ReplyDelete
  23. Good morning mam I am Raunak Singh

    ReplyDelete
  24. Good morning sir my name is Ayaan ahmed

    ReplyDelete
  25. Good morning sir I am Aaditya Parwal class 9A

    ReplyDelete
  26. Good morning sir I am Aryamann Singh

    ReplyDelete
  27. Good morning sir I am devesh rawat

    ReplyDelete
  28. Good morning sir. I am Joel John .

    ReplyDelete
  29. Good morning ma'am I am Ibrahim Kazmi

    ReplyDelete
  30. Good Morning ma'am
    This is Shiv Gangwar.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Goodmorning Sir..Aaditya A. James 9A

    ReplyDelete
  32. Good morning sir I am bhavishya Tandon

    ReplyDelete
  33. Good morning sir my name is Suryansh Sinha

    ReplyDelete
  34. Good morning sir my name is ansh Saini

    ReplyDelete
  35. Sir my name is Harmann Sanwariya

    ReplyDelete
  36. Good morning.. My name is krish Jain

    ReplyDelete
  37. Good morning mam I am Ryan Mathew 9-A

    ReplyDelete
  38. 16, 2020 at 9:34 AM
    Good morning Mam my name is Kanishk Sharma

    REPLY

    KartikeyaApril 16, 2020 at 9:37 AM
    Good morning sir,my name is Kartikeya Balonda.

    REPLY

    UnknownApril 16, 2020 at 9:40 AM
    Good morning sir
    My name is pranshu wadhwa

    REPLY

    Karmanya SharmaApril 16, 2020 at 9:41 AM
    Good morning sir! This is Karmanya Sharma.

    REPLY

    yashowardhan chaudharyApril 16, 2020 at 9:42 AM
    Good Morning Sir, My name is Yashowardhan Chaudhary

    REPLY

    AkshatApril 16, 2020 at 9:42 AM
    Good morning sir my name is akshat jaiswal

    REPLY

    AmaanullahApril 16, 2020 at 9:42 AM
    Goodmorning sir my name is Amaanullah

    REPLY

    UnknownApril 16, 2020 at 9:42 AM
    Good morning mam my name is sidharth singh

    REPLY

    yashowardhan chaudharyApril 16, 2020 at 9:42 AM
    Sir do we also have to write cell theory timeline in our copy??

    REPLY

    UnknownApril 16, 2020 at 9:43 AM
    Good morning mam my name is sidharth singh

    REPLY

    Sabeer DuggalApril 16, 2020 at 9:44 AM
    Good Morning Sir. This is Sabeer Duggal.

    REPLY

    Saud khanApril 16, 2020 at 9:44 AM
    Good

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Fundamental Unit of Life- Blog 2

Tissues Blog 2